EIM Poland is Officially Recognized at Denver 2017 Annual Meeting
At the 64th ACSM Annual Meeting and 8th World Congress on Exercise is Medicine® (EIM), Poland was officially recognized as a formal part of the EIM Global Network. Click here to read more about the official signing. EIM now has a presence in more than 40 countries with partners in Canada, Australia, Singapore, South Africa, Japan, China, Norway, and Germany to name a few.
- “This is a groundbreaking moment for us. We are extremely proud that after 3 years of trying, gaining knowledge and experience in treating through the physical activity such chronic diseases as cancer, diabetes, depression and heart diseases, as well as building the foundations of the initiative in our country, we have satisfied the conditions and criteria to join EIM as an official partner. Now we are able to start improving physical activity programs for chronically ill across Poland.”
- Małgorzata Perl, Sports Director, EIM Poland National and a medical fitness trainer.
- “We are delighted with the potential cooperation with our Polish partners and we cannot wait for the effects of our common actions.”
- Jim Whitehead, CEO and Executive Vice President of ACSM
- “I am extremely excited that Poland is joining the global Exercise is Medicine network. We are looking forward to cooperating with such an awesome team.”
- Mark Stoutenberg, Program Director, Exercise is Medicine®
The epidemiology of chronic diseases in Poland is terrifying. More than 45% of the deaths in the country are caused by cardiovascular diseases and another 26% by cancer – both of which are affected by sedentary lifestyle which, according to the WHO, is the 4th largest risk factor for death globally. According to the European Commission’s Eurobarometer 2014, sedentary lifestyle is the new smoking tobacco and one of the most important factors contributing to the risk of all-cause mortality.
- “This is a very important day for the cooperation of EIM Europe and Poland, because this very country has a chance to become a new leader of change in the perception of physical activity as a significant element of healthcare in Poland and in Europe.”
- Prof. Juergen M. Steinacker, CEO Exercise is Medicine Europe, Internal Diseases, Sport and Rehabilitation department, Medical University of Ulm, Germany.
- “This day connects the world, Europe and Poland in a common idea.”
- Adrian Hutber, Vice President of Exercise is Medicine®
Thanks to the collaboration of experts from around the world, Poland will now gain access to the newest and best research confirming the effectiveness of physical activity as a medicine in chronic diseases. Being a part of the EIM Global Network increases the chance of systemic change in healthcare across Poland so that Polish healthcare provides will prescribe the proper dose of physical activity for their patients and write exercise prescriptions in place of medication.