(Alexandria, Virginia and Vero Beach, Florida, USA)
- NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Certified Sports Performance and Injury Prevention Trainer (Cincinnati Sportsmedicine Research and Education Foundation)
- Certified Youth Conditioning Specialist (International Youth Conditioning Association)
- Certified Tennis Performance Specialist (International Tennis Performance Association)
- Certified Titleist Performance Trainer (Titleist Performance Institute)
- Board Member of the National Board of Fitness Examiners
- Board Member of the Florida High School Tennis Coaches Association
Describe your work with healthcare professionals:
I have my own private practice in which I work in a variety of settings: client homes, outdoors, physical therapy clinics, business offices and a private community country club fitness center.
How have you established a relationship with healthcare providers?
I was actually a patient at both of the healthcare providers from which I now receive patient referrals. Through our professional relationship, the providers discovered my expertise in exercise science and post-rehab training. Through casual conversations, they each came to trust me as a service provider for their patients.
How have you maintained your referral sources?
I have maintained contact with these providers over time. Additionally, in many/most cases, their referred patients have seen dramatic results, which they have later relayed to the referring provider. I have also followed-up with each referral made to ensure that each provider has a follow-through from me on their patient’s progress.
What have been your biggest challenges?
I think it’s hard for any fitness professional to first gain an entry or audience with the medical professional capable or responsible for making referrals. Secondly, gaining their trust in referring patients to you. My resume and past history made it easier for them to want to refer and trust me.
What been the key to your success in working with the healthcare system?
I truly think that once each of these providers received very positive feedback from their patients, they became more and more comfortable with my services, skills and knowledge. I’ve had a wide-variety of health issues referred to me, and in practically all of these cases, improvements have been made. In the case of one of the institutional providers referring to me, I’ve even been invited to use their treatment facilities to work with their patients AND their professional staff.