“What if there was one prescription that could prevent and treat dozens of diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity? Would you prescribe it to your patients? Certainly.”
Dr. Bob Sallis, FACSM, founding Task Force Chair of the Exercise is Medicine® initiative, a joint partnership of the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Medical Association.
Exercise is Medicine® Canada (EIMC) is a movement to encourage a healthy lifestyle among Canadians. EIMC programs are based on abundant evidence that physical activity and exercise reduce the risk of chronic disease and the belief that:
- Most Canadians can find simple ways to incorporate physical activity and exercise into their daily routines;
- More should be done to address physical activity and exercise in the healthcare setting; physical activity and exercise should be incorporated as a key health indicator and standard of medical care as a ‘vital sign’; and
- Certified exercise professionals serve as important resources for Canadians and their healthcare providers.
Exercise is Medicine® is a global initiative! Launched by the American College of Sports Medicine in 2007, EIM now has a presence in several countries around the globe. The Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) launched EIM in Canada in 2012 and holds events associated with EIMC at its own annual meeting.
To provide national leadership in promoting physical activity as a chronic disease prevention and management strategy to improve the health of Canadians.
Physical Activity is an integral part of prevention and treatment of chronic disease in the Canadian Health Care System, so that more Canadians meet the Canadian Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines.
- Increase the number of health care professionals who are assessing, prescribing and counseling patients in physical activity; and
- Facilitate the collaboration between health care and Exercise is Medicine Canada recognized professionals in the prevention and treatment of chronic disease.
If you are interested in bringing an EIMC workshop to your health setting or region, or wish to learn more about how your health or exercise centre can incorporate or support the EIMC philosophy, please contact [email protected].