As we grapple with the consequences of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it’s easy to forget an important component of health related to the immune system: exercise!
Exercise is Medicine® has assembled a variety of scientific articles and resources related to the effects of exercise (acute and chronic) on the body’s immune response. Although specific data related to COVID-19 and exercise has not yet been obtained, research examining the body’s response to exercise reveals a cascade of cellular mechanisms that help protect the body from viral illnesses. In addition, there is clear evidence that exercise reduces depressive symptoms in everyone, including number and severity, as well as the acute and chronic symptoms of anxiety. This could be a very important benefit of maintaining an active routine during this period of isolation and stress.
- Staying Active During COVID-19 by Liz Joy, M.D., M.P.H., FACSM, FAMSSM
- Physical Activity, COVID-19 and Older Adults by the EIM Older Adults Committee; Kate Edwards, Ph.D.; Garrett Kellar, Ed.D.; David Marquez, Ph.D.; Jeff Schlicht, Ph.D.
- COVID-19, Exercise, Children and their Developing Immune System by Shlomit Radom-Aizik, Ph.D.
- A Call to Action: Physical Activity and COVID-19 by Jim Sallis, Ph.D., FACSM and Mike Pratt, M.D. M.P.H., FACSM
- A Clinician’s Thoughts about Self Care and Physical Activity during COVID by Keri Denay, M.D., FACSM
- Exercise, Immunity and the COVID-19 Pandemic by Richard J. Simpson, Ph.D., FACSM
- Life in the Post-COVID Era: One Physician's Perspective on How to Think Forward by Robert Zarr, M.D., M.P.H., Founder of Park Rx America
- Being Active Now - A Different Spin by Robyn Stuhr, M.A., ACSM-CEP, RCEP
- Why Keep this COVID-19 Remedy a Secret? by James F. Sallis, Ph.D., FACSM and Michael Pratt, M.D. M.P.H. FACSM
- Stéphane Bermon, M.D., Ph.D., et al.: Consensus Statement Immunotrition and Exercise (from “a panel of knowledgeable contributors from across the globe”)
- Stephen A. Martin, Brandt D. Pence, and Jeffrey A. Woods: Exercise and Respiratory Tract Viral Infections
- David Nieman, Dr.P.H. and Laurel Wentz, Ph.D..: The compelling link between physical activity and the body's defense system
- Robert Sallis, M.D., et al.: Physical inactivity is associated with a higher risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes: a study in 48 440 adult patients
- Richard Simpson, Ph.D. and Emmanuel Katsanis, M.D.: The immunological case for staying active during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Richard Simpson, Ph.D., et al.: Can exercise affect immune function to increase susceptibility to infection?
- Weimo Zhu: Should, and how can, exercise be done during a coronavirus outbreak? An interview with Dr. Jeffrey A. Woods