Exercise Is Medicine Singapore (EIMS)
Allied Health & Exercise Professionals' Course
Do you want to safely and effectively counsel, implement and lead exercise programs for patients and work in collaboration with health care providers? The EIMS Allied Health & Exercise Professionals’ Course will equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to do so. The course is open to eligible (scroll down to find out the eligibility criteria) fitness professionals, physiotherapist, nurses, podiatrist and dieticians.
As a healthcare and fitness professional, you are well aware of many of the benefits of exercise in preventing chronic disease. But physical activity offers much more than prevention alone. Exercise can also be a powerful complement to medical intervention and, in many instances, may allow a physician to significantly reduce a patient's drug dosage or eliminate the need for medicine altogether. You can play an integral role in helping your patients to adopt a physically active lifestyle as part of the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases.
In 2011, Changi Sports Medicine Centre, together with the American College of Sports Medicine launched the Exercise is Medicine Singapore (EIMS) initiative as a health strategy to promote collaboration between physicians and healthcare professionals in Singapore. The EIMS initiative now includes a certification program that will provide healthcare and fitness professionals with the opportunity to work closely within the medical community. The outcome of this partnership is a closer relationship with patients who need fitness programming in order to change behaviors and reach stronger health outcomes.
The benefits of the EIMS Allied Health & Exercise Professionals’ Course include:
- The competency to safely counsel and supervise exercise that has been prescribed for the patient by his or her physician
- A respected certification to work with individuals with chronic health diseases who have been cleared by their physicians for exercise. The EIMS Healthcare Exercise Professionals’ Course is recognized by the American College of Sports Medicine’s Global Exercise is Medicine program
- Certified healthcare and fitness professionals will be included in an online nationwide network list to facilitate referrals between physicians and healthcare exercise professionals
The course includes lectures, practicum and case discussions, culminating in a written assessment. Participants who successfully complete the course will be awarded the EIMS Allied Health & Exercise Professionals Certification by the EIMS Advisory Board.
Click here for course dates and details.
For more information about the course, please email [email protected].
Who is eligible to sign up for the EIMS Allied Health & Exercise Professionals' Course?
Interested candidates should meet all the following criteria:
- At least a Diploma Graduate
- Current accredited fitness professional certification (Please refer to Table 1)
- At least one (1) year of documented work experience as a fitness professional
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support and Automatic External Defibrillator certificate
Table 1: List of accredited fitness professional certifications
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Fitness Personal Trainer
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certified Fitness Personal Trainer
- Academy of Applied Personal Training Education
- American Fitness Professional & Associates (AFPA) Fitness Personal Trainer Certification
- American Muscle and Fitness Personal Training Institute (AMPFPT) Fitness Personal Trainer Certification
- Federation of International Sports, Aerobics and Fitness (FISAF) Fitness Personal Trainer Certification
- Fitness Instructor Course (FIC) Singapore Sports Council
- International Fitness Association Personal Trainer and Sports Nutrition Certificate
- International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA) Certified Fitness Personal Trainer
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified Fitness Personal Trainer
- National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF), Certified Personal Trainer
- National Exercise & Sports Trainers Association (NESTA) Certified Fitness Personal Trainer
- National Federation of Professionals Trainers
- National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certified Personal Trainer (CPT)
- National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- YMCA Fitness Personal Training Certificate
*All other fitness professional certifications will be considered on a case by case basis
Register for the course today and be part of the Exercise is Medicine Singapore initiative!
Print this Page