One of the most important decisions your patients will make regarding their overall health is to incorporate regular physical activity (PA) into their lifestyles. Your encouragement may be the greatest influence on this decision. The EIM Summary Sheet provides a quick overview of Exercise is Medicine® and how you can activate EIM in your practice. To help guide you in the implementation process, EIM has developed a Health Care Providers' Action Guide - a simple and effective tool to help you prescribe PA in the right “dosage" and the Rx for Health series of patient handouts to support your message.
The Action Guide provides specific guidance in working with your patients, regardless of their level of readiness to make a change. We understand your time is limited, and every minute counts. This Action Guide empowers you to maximize time with your patients by helping you:
- assess the current PA levels of your patients;
- develop and use exercise prescriptions based on the health status and current activity level of your patients; and
- refer your patient to a certified exercise professional.
Key tools in the Health Care Providers' Action Guide include:
- Simple tips for starting the conversation about PA with your patients
- Safety screening tools and instructions
- Physical Activity Vital Sign (PAVS) questionnaire
- EIM Physical Activity Prescription Form and referral tools to help get your patients to qualified exercise professionals
- Guidance on developing a network of qualified and trusted exercise professionals
Another resource to consider is ACSM’s Complete Guide to Fitness & Health – 2nd Edition. This new edition applies current research-based guidance to promote health and fitness and provides information on developing personalized, complete and progressive exercise programs. The sample programs include insights on both the why and the how of developing a complete exercise program. Providers can confidently recommend this ACSM-reviewed book as a “take home” resource for patients or keep on hand as a resource for clinical staff.Print this Page