Last October, we launched the Exercise is Medicine® On Campus (EIM-OC) Mascot Challenge to celebrate EIM On Campus Month, inviting registered campuses to submit creative videos of their mascots promoting physical activity. The Nittany Lion and Penn State University won the first competition with the most votes followed by the University of North Georgia and Jacksonville University.
The EIM-OC Mascot Challenge is back in 2018 and even better with two awards. All EIM-OC registered campuses are once again invited to create a video of their mascot promoting the importance of physical activity from working out in the campus rec center; to practicing with the football, volleyball or soccer teams; to sharing the many benefits of being physically active with students and faculty at a campus health fair; to taking a stroll through campus with the president. We want to see how creative you can be in promoting physical activity! It’s your chance to show your school pride as well as earn bragging rights and a $1,000 grant.
Don't worry if your campus isn't registered yet. You still have time to register and participate! Read the EIM-OC Action Guide to learn how to form a campus leadership team. Once your leadership team is in place, complete the online EIM-OC registration form and submit your video by October 12.
2018 Video Submission Guidelines
- 90 seconds or less in length (think of this like a commercial)
- Accurately represent the values of Exercise is Medicine
- Focus on physical activity and healthy lifestyle behaviors
- Include the university/college mascot in some form. If your campus doesn’t have a mascot, feature a faculty advisor, university/college president or another high-ranking individual.
- Represent activities that take place on campus or in your community
- Avoid foul language and violent or sexual content
- Avoid any political or discriminatory content
- Avoid overt or obvious branding (i.e. If the mascot drinks water, use a plain bottle instead of one with a brand logo on it.)
- Use only audio (music) and images to which you or the institution owns the rights
- $1,000 grant for 2018 Mascot Challenge winner (selected by a panel of multi-disciplinary leaders from ACSM/EIM)
- Trophy and bragging rights for Fan Favorite (selected by public voting on YouTube)
How to Enter
- Create a video.
- Upload your video titled “[School name] Exercise is Medicine on Campus Mascot Challenge 2018” along with your completed application form.
How to Vote for the Fan Favorite
- Once voting opens, ACSM will change the status of all video submissions to “public” on YouTube. EIM will email the voting links to all individuals listed as the “school contact” on the application.
- Each like or “thumbs up” of the video within the YouTube platform will count as a vote. Negative or “thumbs down” votes will NOT count against a video’s positive votes.
- The video with the most “likes” at the end of the voting period will be declared the Fan Favorite winner.
- Video submission period begins Monday, September 17 and ends at noon EDT on Friday, October 12.
- Voting opens Monday, October 15 and closes Friday, October 19.
- The winners will be announced on Monday, October 22.
Contact us with questions about contest rules and eligibility or to assist with video submission and/or promotion.