Exercise is Medicine® On Campus (EIM-OC) launched the Mascot Challenge in October 2017 to celebrate EIM On Campus Month, inviting registered campuses to submit creative videos of their mascots promoting physical activity. The Nittany Lion and Penn State University won the inaugural competition with the most votes followed by the University of North Georgia and Jacksonville University.
The EIM-OC Mascot Challenge returned in 2018 with two awards:
- $1,000 grant for 2018 Mascot Challenge winner (selected by a panel of multi-disciplinary leaders from ACSM/EIM)
- Trophy and bragging rights for Fan Favorite (selected by public voting on YouTube)
EIM-OC Video Submission Guidelines
90 seconds or less in length (think of this like a commercial)
- Accurately represent the values of Exercise is Medicine
- Focus on physical activity and healthy lifestyle behaviors
- Include the university/college mascot in some form. If your campus doesn’t have a mascot, feature a faculty advisor, university/college president or another high-ranking individual.
- Represent activities that take place on campus or in your community
- Avoid foul language and violent or sexual content
- Avoid any political or discriminatory content
- Avoid overt or obvious branding (i.e. If the mascot drinks water, use a plain bottle instead of one with a brand logo on it.)
- Use only audio (music) and images to which you or the institution owns the rights
How to Enter
- Create a video.
- Upload your video titled “[School name] Exercise is Medicine on Campus Mascot Challenge 2018” along with your completed application form.
How to Vote for the Fan Favorite
- Once voting opens, ACSM will change the status of all video submissions to “public” on YouTube. EIM will email the voting links to all individuals listed as the “school contact” on the application.
- Each like or “thumbs up” of the video within the YouTube platform will count as a vote. Negative or “thumbs down” votes will NOT count against a video’s positive votes.
- The video with the most “likes” at the end of the voting period will be declared the Fan Favorite winner.
- Video submission period begins in mid September and closes on a Friday in mid October.
- Fan Favorite voting opens the following Monday and stays open for a week.
- The winners are typically announced the following Monday.
Contact us with questions about contest rules and eligibility.