Provide leadership to your patients and employees to help them develop healthy lifestyles.
“Walk the talk” yourself. Data suggests that the physical activity habits of physicians influence their counseling practices in the clinic. To be a role model for your health care team and to gain the trust of your patients, show that being physically active is important to YOU!
Support the well-being of your health care team:
- Applaud employees’ efforts to take active lunches or breaks.
- Transform stairwells into a welcoming environment and use promotional tools to encourage stair use.
- Organize group participation in a fitness walk/run. Encourage and recognize walkers as much as joggers.
- Encourage healthy snacking around the office.
- Implement healthy lifestyle programs and challenges.
- Arrange discounts for memberships at the local gym.
Promote physical activity in your practice:
- Educate your support staff (including medical assistants) about the importance of physical activity and ask them to help you promote an active lifestyle for patients as well as for themselves.
- Start your own “Walk with a Doc” program and invite staff to help.
- Display Exercise is Medicine® flyers or EIM patient handouts in the waiting room and exam rooms.