The EIM On Campus Committee encourages you to get REUNITED IN MOVEMENT, the theme for the 2021 Mascot Challenge videos! This annual competition invites registered EIM-OC programs to submit a short video to show how they are encouraging community members on their campus to move more, and campuses can win a cash prize. My team at Seattle University wanted to share our top five things to consider when creating your Mascot Challenge video!
- Tip #1 – No mascot, no problem! The goal of the Mascot Challenge is to share something recognizable and iconic to showcase how your EIM-OC team promotes physical activity as a vital sign on campus. What is your campus known for, or what do you want everyone to think of when they hear of your campus? For more ideas of what to include in your video, check out this blog post!
- Tip #2 – Don’t forget to focus on the theme! This year, our theme is “reunited in movement.” For the first time in over a year, students, faculty and staff are back on campus and can finally move together again! Show us how your EIM-OC leadership team is reuniting your campus in movement! Are you holding outdoor classes? Getting teams together for 5Ks? We want to see all the ways in which you are moving together again in 2021. Get creative!
- Tip #3 – You don’t need access to fancy video equipment! Most people have a high-quality device for recording videos right at their fingertips – a smartphone! If you or someone on your team has a smartphone with a built-in camera, you’ve got all the equipment you need to shoot your video!
- Tip #4 – Lighting matters! If capturing your video with a smartphone, make sure you shoot your video where there is good lighting! In lower-light settings, the picture can start to look grainy. Also, try not to zoom in on images while capturing your video as it will produce a pixelated, lower-quality image. Instead, just physically move your smartphone to frame your shot! Be sure to capture your video horizontally if using a smartphone.
- Tip #5 – Consider using a free video editing app! If you don’t have anyone with video editing experience on your team, don’t worry. There’s an app for that! There are a number of free and easy-to-use apps to edit and create your video. Every editing app is different, but here are a few features you may want to look for in app:
- Import videos and photos from your camera, or film them from the app itself.
- Scrub through the video as you edit it.
- Add music to the video.
- Export video with at least 480p quality.
- Either save the video to your camera roll or to the app’s cloud service.
- Add text and common shapes.
Here are some free apps you might want to consider downloading to create your video:
- Wondershare Filmora
Finally, don’t forget to have fun while making your video! We can’t wait to see what you put together!